Special Situations

DEPENDENCY OVERRIDE: Any one of the following will result in a student being considered independent for federal student aid programs:

Students who do not meet the criteria of an Independent Student may ask for a dependency override. The US Department of Education feels that students under 24 years of age should be assisted by their parents in educational expenses. You cannot live with your parents and request a dependency override. The unwillingness of the family to pay or provide information is NOT a valid reason for requesting a dependency override. In ALL cases independence must have occurred out of necessity rather than choice. Examples of such situations are abandonment, parental drug abuse, parental mental incapacity, physical or emotional abuse, parental incarceration or severe estrangement. A Financial Aid Committee will review your documents and notify you by letter of the decision. You will be asked to provide the following:

If a family's financial circumstances have changed from the base year financial information on the FAFSA they may qualify for Special Circumstances and should contact the Office of Student Services.

Special Circumstances may include:

You may be asked to provide:

Taking Classes at another School

Students may choose to take classes at another institution (the host school) while also attending Mountwest Community & Technical College (the home school). You must request approval to take credit as a transient student from the Office of Student Services Mountwest Community & Technical College. If your request is approved, you will receive a letter of approval to earn credits as a transient student. The Office of Student Services at the home school must have a copy of the transient approval letter in order to request a consortium agreement from the host school (the institution from which you will take classes). The host school must confirm your enrollment before you can receive your financial aid from Mountwest Community & Technical College. The student will be responsible for making certain that the host school is paid.

Cooperative Programs

Mountwest Community & Technical College participates in joint programs with other post-secondary schools. Students in these cooperative programs qualify for financial aid but may only receive aid from one school. In most cases, The Office of Student Services at Mountwest Community & Technical College will process aid for students enrolled in cooperative programs. Students taking classes at another school must notify Mountwest Community & Technical College Student Services and they will determine which school processes financial aid. If Mountwest Community & Technical College processes financial aid, they will need verification of enrollment at the other school. The student will be responsible for making certain that the other school is paid.