Public Library Technology Certificate
The Public Library Technology program provides critical and comprehensive training for individuals interested in a career in libraries and covers topics such as cataloging and technical services, library technology, both children’s and adult programming and services, and collection development in addition to the general education skills needed to work in a library environment. An increased use of electronic resources in libraries enable library technicians to perform tasks once performed by professional librarians. Because opportunities will be best for those with specialized postsecondary library training, the PLT program prepares workers for current trends in the library field to meet more sophisticated information and computer literacy needs. This program is available 100% online so individuals in rural locations, and around the country, can take these courses without having to leave their libraries or their homes.
REQUIRED COURSES for the Academic Year 2014-2015
|PLT 100||Careers in Libraries||3|
|PLT 250||Public Library Technology||3|
|PLT 275||Information LIteracy||3|
|COL 101||New Student Seminar||3|
|ENL 111||Written Communication2||3|
|IT 101||Fundamentals of Computers||3|
(100 or above) Mathematics (MAT 145 is recommended as
it will transfer to a 4-year institution in WV)
- All PLT Courses are offered only online and are included in the course schedule every semester (fall-spring-summer).
- PLT courses are offered in the eight-week format unless otherwise stated.
- The complete PLT A.A.S. degree may be obtained online.
- Course substitutions or an independent study option will be made for PLT majors in lieu of PLT 215, 265 and 280 if they are not offered.
- Students may take PLT courses in any sequence except when prerequisites are listed.
1 Two additional PLT electives approved by advisor.
2 COM 112, and COM 125 have a prerequisite of REA 098, or placement in 100-level reading.
3 ENL 111 has a prerequisite of REA 098, or placement in 100-level reading.
|**Click Here for the 2014-2015 Advising Sheet**|
|**Click Here for the 2013-2014 Advising Sheet**|
|**Click Here for the 2012-2013 Advising Sheet**|