The Teacher Assistant Program is a one year certificate consisting of 34 credit hours. The program is approximately one half of the curriculum of the Early Childhood Education Associate’s in Applied Science degree. This certificate program is designed to prepare students to assist lead teachers in a variety early childhood programs including but not limited to Pre-K, Preschool Special Needs and Kindergarten. It is also designed to meet the West Virginia Early Childhood Classroom Assistant Teacher Requirements.
REQUIRED COURSES for the Academic Year 2014-2015
|COM 112||Oral Communication1||3|
|EDUC 120||Foundations of Early Childhood2||3|
|EDUC 215||Child, Family, and Community3||3|
|EME 101||CPR/First Aid||1|
|ENL 111||Written Communication4||3|
|MAT 120||Applied Professional Mathematics5||3|
|EDUC 210||Observation Assess. of Young Children6||3|
|EDUC 225||Development of Young Children6||3|
|EDUC 230||Early Language and Literacy7||3|
|EDUC 261||The Exceptional Child8||3|
|EDUC 270||Level I Clinical Experience||2|
|EDUC 275||Level II Clinical Experience||1|
|EDUC 295||Early Childhood Curriculum and Methods9||3|
1. COM 112, EDUC 101, and PSYC 215 have a prerequisite of REA 098, or placement in 100-level reading.
2. EDUC 105 has a prerequisite of IT 101.
3. EDUC 120 has a pre-requisite of ENL 094 and/or 095, or placement in 100-level English.
4. ENL 111 has a prerequisite of ENL 095, or placement in 100-level English, and REA 098 or placement in 100-level reading.
5. EDUC 210, EDUC 215, EDUC 220, EDUC 225, has a prerequisite of ENL 111 and a grade of “C” or better in EDUC 120.
6. EDUC 225 has a co-requisite of EDUC 270.
7. EDUC 270 has a co-requisite of EDUC 225 or PSYC 215 for ACDS students.
8. ENL 115 has a pre-requisite of ENL 111.
9. EDUC 230 has a prerequisite of ENL 111 and EDUC 225.
10. EDUC 275 has a co-requisite of EDUC 295.
11. EDUC 295 has prerequisites of ENL 111, and a grade of “C” or better in EDUC 225, and EDUC 270.
12. MAT 120 has a prerequisite of MAT 096, or MAT 097, or placement in 100-level math.
13. Choose from the following: ART 101, HMN 120, or MUSI 101.
14. EDUC 261 has a pre-requisite of EDUC 225, and ENL 115.
15. EDUC 299 has a prerequisite of EDUC 295, and by permission.
16. SCI 201 has a pre-requisite of MAT 120, MAT 145 or MAT 120.
* Only students who began Apprenticeship Child Development Specialist classes fall 2002 or later will receive credit for these courses upon completion of their certificate.
**Students desiring to pursue a Baccalaureate degree through the articulation agreement with Marshall University should also complete an approved English literature elective. Please see the program advisor for a list of approved courses.
|**Click Here for the 2014-2015 Advising Sheet**|
|**Click Here for the 2013-2014 Advising Sheet**|