American Sign Language
This program is designed to give students foundation in American Sign Language (ASL) and to acquaint them with basic issues of concern to the Deaf Community. Furthermore, the program offers an opportunity to individuals already working in the Deaf community to increase their understanding of ASL and Deaf Culture in order to strengthen their knowledge and their communication skills.
Upon completion of the Associate of Applied Science Degrees in American Sign Language, The graduate will be able to:
· Effectively communicate with Deaf person in informal settings in teaching, human services, or health care;
· Enhance their credentials for employment opportunities which do not require interpreter certification but do assign value to skills in ASL and knowledge of Deaf culture;
· Earn their academic qualifications for entry into advanced studies at universities offering sign language programs;
· Enter an interpreter training program, after which they may sit for a certification examination, sponsored by the national licensing organization.
REQUIRED COURSES for the Academic Year 2014-2015
|ASL 101||American Sign Language1||3|
|ASL 101L||ASL Lab I||1|
|ASL 105||American Deaf Community1||3|
|COL 101||New Student Seminar||2|
|ENL 111||Written Communication2||3|
|IT 101||Fundamentals of Computers||3|
|ASL 102||American Sign Language II3||3|
|ASL 102L||ASL Lab II||1|
|ASL 110||American Deaf Culture||3|
|PSYC 215||Lifespan Psychology1||3|
|ASL 201||American Sign Language III4||3|
|ASL 201L||ASL Lab III|
|ASL 205||American Deaf Community History||3|
|ASL 220||Resources for the Deaf Community||3|
|MAT 120||Applied Professional Mathematics5||3|
|ASL 202||American Sign Language IV6||3|
|ASL 202L||ASL Lab IV||1|
|ASL 210||Deaf People in American History7||3|
|ASL 290||Applied Issues Concerning Deaf Community8||3|
1. ASL 101, ASL 105, ENL 111, PSYC 215, SS 201 and SS 210 have a prerequisite of REA 098, or placement in 100-level reading.
2. ENL 111 has a prerequisite of ENL 095, or placement in 100-level English and REA 098, or placement in 100-level reading.
3. ASL 102 has a prerequisite of ASL 101.
4. ASL 201 has a prerequisites of ASL 101 and ASL 102.
5. MAT 120 has a prerequisite of MAT 095, MAT 096 or MAT 097.
6. ASL 202 has prerequisites of ASL 101, ASL 102, and ASL 201.
7. ASL 210 has prerequisites of ASL 105, ASL 110, and ASL 205.
8. ASL 290 has prerequisites of ASL 101, ASL 102, ASL 105, ASL 110, ASL 115, ASL 201, ASL 205 and ASL 220.
9. Choose from one of the following: ASL 115, ASL 120, or ASL 215.
|**Click here for the 2014-2015 Advising Sheet**|
|**Click here for the 2013-2014 Advising Sheet**|
|**Click here for the 2012-2013 Advising Sheet**|